Tertiary Education Grants
- An owner or descendant of an owner in the Lake Taupō Forest Trust (shareholder number to be obtained by calling the office on 07 3868839)
- Full-time student at an NZQA accredited University, College of Education, Polytechnic or Whare Wananga (does not include Secondary School)
- Studying in one of the following fields: Forestry, Finance, Business Management, Law, Science, Engineering, Environmental, Information Technology, GIS Mapping or Marketing.
The value of this grant will be distributed amongst the number of eligible applicants – this will not be known until these have been processed and approved by the Kaitiaki.
This grant has now closed for 2020 and will re-open on 01 March 2021.
Forest Tertiary Scholarships
- The applicant must be a registered owner or a descendant of an owner who holds interests in Lake Taupō Forest or Lake Rotoaira Forest lands;
- The student must provide evidence:
a. That he or she is currently enrolled full-time at either the University of Canterbury’s School of Forestry in Christchurch, or Toi-Ohomai Institute of Technology in Rotorua; and
b. That he or she is enrolled in a recognised course of study equivalent to a diploma or degree in forest management;
c. That they have already achieved strong results in a previous year of study in one of the forest management disciplines.
- The applicant must clearly demonstrate how their commitment to their study has the potential to benefit them and the Māori owned forest estates, Lake Taupō Forest Trust and/or Lake Rotoaira Forest Trust (with a written statement of at least 500 words).
The scholarship is valued at $10,000 p/a or up to three (3) recipients.
Grant Opens – Closes
This scholarship applications open 1 July and close 31 August each year.
Click here to download the Forest Scholarship Guidelines. Scholarship Applications are made available directly at the designated forestry schools mentioned above. If you are already enrolled in these programmes, the course directors of the learning institutions will have these available for you otherwise contact our office on 07 386 6843.
Kaumatua Assistance Grant
The Kaumatua Assistance Grant is a one-off annual amount set by the Kaitiaki of the Lake Taupō Charitable Trust and is not retrospective.
- Registered beneficial owners of the Lake Taupo Forest Trust aged 70 years old or over
- Beneficial owners who have put their Lake Taupo Forest Trust shares into a whānau trust
The value of this grant is $200.
Grant Opens – Closes
This grant opens 1 January each year. This is automatically posted to registered and eligible applicants, please ensure you are fully registered with the Owner Services Team at 07 386 8839.
The Paramountcy Grant
The Paramountcy Grant is an annual payment directly to Ariki Tumu te Heuheu as an acknowledgement to his tribal leadership in Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
The value of this grant is $50,000 payable in October of each year directly to the Ko Tuwharetoa te Iwi Charitable Trust.